Working from small excavations, services up to 250mm in diameter can be installed over relatively short distances. Essentially, the plant and equipment is simply a scaled down version of a surface mounted Horizontal Directional Drilling (HDD) rig which adopts the same principles and processes.
This technique is particularly popular in urban areas where space is at a premium.
Distances: Pipe lengths up to 50 metres.
Installation rates: Up to 50 metres per day dependent on the required diameter and the ground conditions.
Accuracy: +/- 50mm ground dependent.
With over 20 years experience in the field, Chiltern Thrust Bore can use Pit-Launched Drilling to install pipes for various applications, including beneath:
- Domestic installations.
- Various watercourses (including major rivers).
- Runways and taxiways.
- Coastal sea defences.
- Environmentally sensitive areas.
- Embankments/bunds etc…
…the list goes on!
Advantages of Pit-Launched Drilling
- Quick and efficient.
- No disruption to surface infrastructure/services.
- Cost effective and time saving alternative to open cut methods when installing pipes amidst extensive underground infrastructure or at significant depths.
- Small overall footprint for the Works.
- A reduced requirement for possessions, road closures or opening notices etc. (if required).
- A reduced requirement for restricted working hours.
- A reduced requirement for premium rate working.
- Pipework and cables can be installed in either a straight or curved alignment to help avoid underground complications and services.
Can be used for gravity gradient installations where the required grade and ground conditions allow.