This technique enables non-displacement boring into solid rock, gravels, cobbles and boulders.
With diameters ranging from DN100 to DN900mm available, this method is suitable for the installation of steel and Polyethylene pipes.
With our specialist equipment and experiences operators, we have the utmost confidence in successfully installing pipelines in the toughest of locations/ground conditions.
Distances: Pipe lengths up to 200 metres.
Installation rates: Up to 20 metres per day dependent on the required diameter and the ground conditions.
Accuracy: +/- 50mm Ground dependent.
Chiltern Thrust Bore has considerable expertise in Horizontal Directional Rock Drilling with over 20 years in the field installing pipes for various applications beneath items such as:
- Various watercourses including major rivers
- Runways and taxiways
- Coastal sea defences
- Environmentally sensitive areas
- Embankments/bunds etc...
the list goes on!
Advantages of Horizontal Directional Rock Drilling
- No disruption to the surface infrastructure or services
- Unaffected by surface obstacles
- Cost effective and time saving alternative to open cut methods when installing pipes amidst extensive underground infrastructure or at significant depths
- Relatively small overall footprint for the Works
- Pipework and cables can be installed in either a straight or curved alignment to help avoid underground complications and services
- HDD requires no deep excavations due to the equipment that is used
- A reduced requirement for possessions, road closures, opening notices etc, if required
- A reduced requirement for restricted working hours
- A reduced requirement for premium rate working