Horizontal Directional Drilling (HDD)
The process is a quick and effective means of installing single or multi pipes and ducts from 25mm to 900mm diameter.
We pride ourselves in offering a service that leaves environmentally sensitive landscapes unscathed during the directional drilling process.
By using our large fleet of steerable direction drilling rigs, we can provide a precise and controlled bore in which the final product pipe(s) can then be pulled to completion.
Distances: Pipe lengths up to 400 metres.
Installation rates: Up to 200 metres per day dependent on the required diameter and the ground conditions.
Accuracy: +/- 50mm Ground dependent.
Chiltern Thrust Bore are a Horizontal Directional Drilling company with over 20 years in the field, installing pipes for various applications beneath items such as:
- Various watercourses including major rivers
- Runways and taxiways
- Coastal sea defences
- Environmentally sensitive areas
- Embankments/bunds etc…
the list goes on!
Advantages of Horizontal Directional Drilling
- Quick, efficient and therefore economic/cost effective
- No disruption to the surface infrastructure or services
- Unaffected by surface obstacles
- Cost effective and time saving alternative to open cut methods when installing pipes amidst extensive underground infrastructure or at significant depths
- Relatively small overall footprint for the Works
- Pipework and cables can be installed in either a straight or curved alignment to help avoid underground complications and services.
- HDD requires no deep excavations due to the equipment that is used.
- Can be used for gravity gradient installations where the required grade and ground conditions allow
- A reduced requirement for possessions, road closures, opening notices etc, if required.
- A reduced requirement for restricted working hours
- A reduced requirement for premium rate working